Intensive Family Support Services (IFSS)
Through collaboration with NAMI Mercer, Oaks Integrated Care (OIC) offers families and caregivers a weekly support group and short-term individual counseling.
What is the Intensive Family Support Services Program?
Intensive Family Support Services, funded by the State of New Jersey, are a range of supportive activities designed to improve the overall functioning and quality of life of families with a mentally ill relative. These support activities may include psychoeducation groups, single family consultations, respite, family support groups, systems advocacy, referral/service linkage, and medication monitoring. Services may be delivered in the family’s home, at the agency, or at other sites in the community.
With IFSS intervention, families learn to:
- Increase their self-determination and confidence
- Gain a better understanding of diagnoses and treatment
- Develop and implement concrete illness management plans
- Enhance communication patterns and decrease stress and stimulation
- Develop appropriate support systems
- Reduce personal and social isolation
- Access available services and resources
- Advance the rights and protections of people with mental illness.