In Our Own Voice
In Our Own Voice is an interactive presentation that uses personal storytelling to reduce stereotypes about mental illness and share a compelling message of hope. Presenters provide insight into what it is like to live with a mental health condition, sparking greater understanding and support, reducing the stigma that often stands in the way of treatment and recovery.
What You Will Gain by Attending
In Our Own Voice adds a critical perspective to the popular understanding of what people with mental illness are like. Going to this presentation will give you:
• A first-hand account of what it's like to live with a mental illness. Presenters demonstrate that it's possible—and common—to live well with mental illness.
• A chance to ask the presenters questions, which allows for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispels stereotypes and misconceptions.
• The understanding that every person with a mental illness can not only hope for a bright future, but achieve it.
NAMI Mercer has made hundreds of In Our Own Voice presentations since 2003. Our audiences have included:
• Participants in mental health treatment programs
• Professional staff at in-patient and out-patient mental health facilities
• Mental wellness self-help groups
• Attendees at social work and psychosocial rehabilitation conferences
• Clergy and religious congregations
• Public employees in social services, housing, law enforcement, child welfare, corrections, and air traffic control positions
• School classes and clubs
• School administrators and educators
• Personnel at private companies.